"If you have too much to do, with God's help you will find time to do it all." St. Peter Canisius


Thursday, January 17, 2008

Round Robin Project - Quilting

I just started a new and exciting quilt project with my good friend, Ruth in Indiana... We met online VIA a Carol Doak Yahoo Paper Piecing Group... It will be one year in March... I signed up as a 'little' sister hoping someone would adopt me and help me along as I learned all the wonderful things about Carol Doak's Paper Piecing Patterns for Quilt Tops... Ruth was in the 'big' sister group and emailed me asking if she could 'adopt' me... I said that sounded like great fun... We have shared many emails over the months and grown close... She is an experienced quilter, seamstress and cake decorator... She's also quite the traveler... Many things I enjoy and hope to enjoy in life... Her children are grown and she has been blessed with one grandchild so far... I don't participate in many of the group activities because of my lack of experience and unpredictable life with raising a growing family with many young children... I never know if I will make a deadline or not so I hesitate to sign up for things with deadlines... So, we came together and decided to do a fun quilting project just between the two of us... Ideally you have a group of 5-7 women for a project like this... We are doing a project called a Round Robin... This is how it works... Each of the members of the group makes a center block... You then pass your block to another member who adds a 'round' or border to your center block... Your block circulates through the group and comes back to you to finish... So, when you are done you have a fabulous quilt worked on by many friends... You can set up many rules as to what color or patterns you wish for your quilt or you can leave it up to the 'imagination' of the next quilter to add on a 'round'... I have never made such a quilt and thought about doing one on my own... Ruth and I came together and decided we would pass our quilts back in forth and do a modified version...
Here is Ruth's Center on which I have to add the first round:
Here is my center on which she has to add the 1st round:
Next we will mail them back to the owner who will add the 2nd round and mail it back to the other member for a 3rd round.. Etc... We will continue back in forth till it reaches the 'desired' size... At that point we will sandwich, quilt and bind it... We are using quilt blocks from Carol Doak's all new book Mariner's Compass Stars... I hope you enjoy seeing the photos as each round is completed... Check back often for updates... If you like to learn more about Paper Piecing visit: Carol Doak - Quilting Books, CD-ROMS, Patterns and more! To join the Yahoo Group dedicated to Carol's Patterns visit: CarolDoakQuiltingGroup : Carol Doak Quilting Group

4 comments:

Teresa said...

Caroline,
That sounds like so much fun. I wish I had the patience to do crafts....

Michelle said...

The quilt looks great Caroline! I hope you're feeling better.

Unknown said...

wow!!! I love the colors in both!

Anonymous said...

The quilt squares are so beautiful, Caroline. I'd love to be able to quilt.