"If you have too much to do, with God's help you will find time to do it all." St. Peter Canisius


Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thirty-Four

Today I'm officially 34 weeks according to the 'wheel'... This morning I had a meeting with a possible new respite service... We will see how that goes... Also, received a call today about a possible person for our 'overnight' respite... So, it is looking like services may start falling back into place to help us with our oldest and give us some relief/support... I made hamburgers in gravy with fresh mushrooms and golden (skins left on) garlic mashed potatoes... I ran out to pick up some medicine for the little ones who noses are drippy due to the up and down weather we are having... I talked to a friend this morning on the phone who is expecting twins (#7 & 8) and it sounded like she could really use some help... So, I stopped by her home while out running errands during the lunch hour... I brought her mail up to the door from the end of the driveway, took a box she received downstairs and put it away... I did one draining dish tray full of dishes, put another set in the sink to soak and gave her some help preparing lunch for her children... I then had to head back to my family and see how they were doing... This morning after dropping off my oldest did some food shopping/picking up... So, we are well stocked minus fresh meat (have a couple small packages in the freezer)... So, it was a busy day... I was very tired when nap time came and fell almost instantly to sleep after reading an article about 'Natural Family Living'... I called and set up an appointment next week with local college's extension service to help re-learn or do better with budgeting, meal prep (using items I normally wouldn't like powdered milk instead of prepared milk) and pre-planning all to expand my skills and stretch our dollar a bit further since soon we will be a family of SIX on one income... They also have a lady on staff at the extension service who is knowledgeable in home canning and I will be meeting her later on once I have some things to can and I'm settled a bit with #4... I'm really excited about canning but cautious at the same time and think watching/working directly with someone instead of just trying to 'read' and do it as I go is better and safer! I had planned on attending an Autism resource fair at the college but was too tired and did quite a bit today... It was best I didn't over do it... I did too much this morning and felt it so I knew I needed to back off and take it easy...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Caroline. I've canned quite a bit over the years, but I don't can as much now as I did in my early years of marriage. I learned from my mom & showed in 4-H, too. I have a really good mexican stewed tomato recipe that does need to be pressure canned, if you are interested. I used to can beets, carrots, beans, tomatoes & cukes. Now, I really only can the mexican stewed tomatoes. Jars can be purchased a thrift stores dirt cheap. Anyway, I'm glad you're interested in learning (I don't want to see canning become a lost art!!) and it's great that you are planning to be tutored, so to speak.

I freeze blanched green beans (I think they taste better - as long as you have a vacuum pack sealer the quality is great). I've also started freezing my plain/stewed tomatoes. It's quicker & requires less prep. I'm not sure how much freezer room you have avail., but you might consider freezing if you aren't limited.