"If you have too much to do, with God's help you will find time to do it all." St. Peter Canisius


Friday, May 23, 2008

Linebacker's Birth Story

I had an awesome birth less the 90 mins of 'true' labor
birth story in brief
labor' started at 3 AM they were 5 mins apart went to hospital 9-10 AM everything stopped I was 6-7 cm and 75% but no contractions they sent me home to eat and rest after trying to coerce me into breaking my water stuffed with several very greasy sausages (what sounded good at the moment and was ready ASAP) myself and slept about 2-3 hours woke up at 8 with them one on top of another sent you home at 6 - 7 cm well, I wouldn't let them do anything I said nope I will continue with NATURAL ways of helping things along they weren't allowed to do anything but listen with the dopplar and check my progress No to ivs, meds, interventions yadda I think they didn't think I would go home trying to call my bluff as in oh I want a natural no intervention birth at 8 PM I woke up with ut oh arrived at hospital between 8:30 and 8:45 I gave a really good push BOOM like a cannon my water broke shot across room and hit the attending doctor thought I had pushed Linebacker out but then I was nope he's still in there LOL 3-4 more pushes he's out doctor barely touched him to deliver they didn't break down the bed so he was born gently onto the foot of the bed they normally remove for delivery (ie no feet up in air he laid there quiet and alert, they did the first APGAR and then the 2nd APGAR at 5 mins after that the cord was clamped and my girlfriend cut it... they wrapped him up and my girl friend held him placenta delivered, 1-1/2 or 2 stitches and then Linebacker was handed to me within a 1/2 hour he nursed 1 hr after birth they did his newborn 'exam' weight him, eye ointment, length, etc, wrapped him back up and nursed a bit more then fell asleep they rubbed the vernex into his skin he wasn't bathed till 3 AM born at 9:24 PM full force start at 8, hospital at 8:30/45 born at 9:24 my girlfriend who was at my birth said 'your birth looked like what a home birth would look like if it had taken place in a hospital peaceful powerful healing womanly there was ONE nurse on call doctor (my PCP sister two doulas and my girlfriend so very few people and all women other births have had 2-3 nurses it was just beautiful! my doula with peanut moved out of town so I found someone new old doula moved back to town... I didn't not want her to be there and I didn't want to give up my new doula so I had both they each had their own things they were good at then I had my girlfriend who was like the husband... if there were any complications she was going to be with the baby if I couldn't be there painful but invigorating I'd also describe my birth awe inspiring only one thing I'd change something they call the ring of fire when baby's head goes through the cervix it BURNS some women have it and some don't that part I could do with out contractions are a cakewalk compared to that part! my girlfriend loved when I pushed I said oh that feels soo good LOL I said well it did she says I know but I've never heard anyone actually say what everyone is thinking during that part of their labor I just felt all the women needed to know what I was feeling I said they are strong contractions or help me breathe or their coming to fast for a while I felt out of control of things and frightened but at the same time conforted as if God himself was sitting there holding my hand so when I started pushing and I felt better I wanted to let them know that I was 'ok' I have tremers and whimper then they are really strong however I don't fight things I just let them go and pray did a whole lot of praying during that last 10 minutes before I felt the urge to push asking God, Mary, Jesus to help me please help me it was as if Heaven itself opened up when after that first push just complete peace truly divine I went from oh my panic to this is natural and things happening just like they are meant to it's kind of crazy

1 comment:

Sarah--Well Rounded Birth Prep said...

Beautiful, intense birth story! I'm so glad you had such a positive, well-supported experience in the hospital and that you and Linebacker were treated with care and respect. <3 Thanks for sharing.

I especially got a chuckle from this part: "I gave a really good push BOOM like a cannon my water broke shot across room and hit the attending doctor." LOL indeed!