"If you have too much to do, with God's help you will find time to do it all." St. Peter Canisius


Thursday, February 12, 2009

Tasty Thursday

First I will recap the day then I will share my new chicken recipe I made Monday and Wednesday this week... I dropped all the children off where they needed to be... I went to the hardware store to pick up some 'keys' for the upstairs doors... The other ones have 'vanished'... I also picked up thicker and longer screws for our front door hardware... I went to the bank and cashed a check... I put gas in van... I was at a 1/8 of a tank... ::frown:: I'm up above a 1/2 now... I stopped at the local Catholic book store... I picked up a really cool book called Religious Customs In The Family: The Radiation of the Liturgy into Catholic Homes by Fr. Francis X. Weiser, S.J... I've browsed it casually but look forward to reading it cover to cover... I also picked up some prayer cards... A Valentine's gift for my husband and new Crucifix... My other one went missing after I had it repaired... After I picked up Peanut I went to the grocery store since we were almost out of milk... I picked up two more things for Valentine's for my husband...

Chicken Fingers

6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
1 Egg, beaten
1 C. Buttermilk (or 1 C. Regular Milk and 1 T. Lemon Juice/Vinegar stirred and let it sit a bit)
1-1/2 t. Garlic Powder
1 C. Flour
1 C. Bread Crumbs
1 t. Salt
1 t. Baking Powder
Oil for Frying

Cut the chicken into 1/2" strips; place in gallon size resealable bag. Combine egg, buttermilk, and garlic powder; pour over chicken. Seal and refrigerate 2-4 hours (I usually do overnight because I cook our 'dinner' mid-morning or do it first thing in the morning to cook that evening what ever works best for your schedule). In another gallon size resealable bag, combine flour, bread crumbs, salt and baking powder. Drain chicken, and discard buttermilk mixture. Place chicken in flour mixture; seal and shake to coat. In an electric skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees. I used a standard non-stick skillet on the stove... I heated it to medium... I knew it was ready after I flicked it with water and it made popping sounds... You may need to increase or decrease depending on your stove... I used enough oil so the chicken was 3/4 submerged when frying... Fry the chicken in batches (my pan held 4-5 strips) for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown... Again 4 minutes for the first side and 5 minutes for the 2nd side worked best for me... That had it nicely browned and it was over cooked or raw in the middle. Cut to test it is cooked through to a safe eating temperature. Drain on paper towels. Yield: Approx 18 strips/fingers

No comments: